349 Hillsdale Ave, Hillsdale, New Jersey 07642 - 201-664-5231
- Know - Worship Services, Sunday School, and Music Ministries
- Advance - Outreach opportunities and United Methodist Women (UMW)
- Do - Small Groups, Bible Studies, and Our Ministries
- To schedule an event in our Buildings
- Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals
- Pastor's Blog
- Public Theology Blog
- "The Open Door" Newsletter
- In Remembrance
- Choir Performances for Rehearsals
- The Greater NJ UMC Conference
- The United Methodist Church
Hillsdale United Nursery School: 201-664-4565
Helping Hand Food Pantry: 201-664-0600
Our Songs - an updated video playlist
It is with sadness that we announce the death of Allen Edward Atchison. A Memorial service will be held at the Hillsdale United Methodist Church , Hillsdale, NJ on Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 10 AM. Private Burial at Restland Memorial Park, East Hanover, NJ. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts to the Hillsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps or Fire Department, 340 Washington Avenue, Hillsdale, NJ 07642 would be appreciated.
America's Journey for Justice: Please continue to pray during the 40 days of the march for justice in our world August 1st-September 16th. Contact Lisa to hear about her experiences marching in GA. Click here to read her Public Theology Blog. and click here to learn more about this march for Justice.
September/October Open Door: is available online. If you are an online subscriber, THANK YOU! for saving our church precious resources for ministry. If you are still a paper subscriber, please consider becoming an online subscriber. Click here to learn more.
Sunday School Registration 2015-2016: click here to download the registration form, or pick up forms in the Narthex or the Church office. And please join us at 10am on September 13th for our Sunday School Kickoff!
Choir Practice Resumes: Choir practice resumes on Wednesday, September 9th in the Chancel. Chancel Choir is at 7:00 pm and Sacred Messengers at 8:30 pm. New members are welcome and needed! No audition required, just show up and Ray will take it from there. Hope to see some new faces. Any questions, contact Ray Frasche.
Confirmation Orientation: There will be a Confirmation Orientation meeting on Sunday, September 13th at 11:15 am in the Lounge. Classes for 7th graders or any youth seeking to be confirmed will typically be held on the 1st Sunday of each month between October and May. If you are interested, please call the church office.
New Member Classes: New Member classes will be held on Sunday, September 20th and 27th from 11:15 am to 12:15 am in the Lounge followed by an Induction service on Sunday, October 4th. Please call the church office if you are interested.
Pearl River UMC/Outreach Inc. Food Packaging Event: Their goal is to prepare 20,000 meals on September 26th to donate to CUMAC. Volunteers are needed to help assemble, weigh, seal and package nutritionally fortified meals. If you would be prepared to help please contact our office for more information. Flyers are available in the Narthex and office.
- Youth Offering: We are delighted to have raised $400 in our collection last week that will go towards youth programming and the youth mission trip for 2016.
- College Students and Military Care Packages: We will continue to keep in touch with our young people who are in college and the military. This includes cards and occasional snack packages. Please send addresses to the church office and include any information about allergies.
What is Green Faith? This is our capital campaign to reduce energy usage in our church. It consists of two parts: updating our lighting and air conditioning, and installing new windows in the sanctuary. With government grants we are spending $25,000 for work valued at over $60,000. Help us reach our goal by making a donation. You can place checks or cash in an envelope marked “green faith” and hand them in the collection plate or the office, or donate electronically by clicking on e-giving here, or at the bottom of this website.
Are you interested in becoming a member? Hillsdale United Methodist Church typically holds a two class session in September for new members, meant to help get you oriented to our church. The process is the same for transfer of membership. If you are a young person under 16, confirmation class is the path to membership, running from September to May. Confirmands participate in a two year cycle before they are confirmed as members of the church in May. Call the church office for more information or to join.
Covenant Group: Interested in connecting more deeply with other Christians? Do you want to grow in your faith? The pastor holds a convenant group meeting twice a month on Sunday evenings to do exactly that. Contact the pastor to join.
Knowing God through Worship Experiences
Our worship service is the primary way for us to experience God first hand. We gather together to sing, pray, and hear God's word. We: experince God's grace in the sacraments of baptism & communion; learn about God's love and will for us; explore the scriptures to better understand who God is.
Sunday 10 am
The worship service is followed by a coffee hour in our fellowship hall.
Sunday Worship Child Care 9:40 am
The nursery is available starting at 9:40 am. child care is provided in the nursery in the education building on the 2nd floor. Please see an usher in the sanctuary if you have any questions on Sunday morning.
Sunday School 10 am
Sunday School is available for children ages 3 years old through high school. Regular sessions run from September through June in the education building and a one-room summer session runs July-August. Children begin the service in worship and are dismissed to their classrooms following the children's moment.
A great way for kids to develop a foundation in understanding who God is and what Jesus has to do with our day-to-day lives.
Sunday School sessions run from September through June in the education building and a one-room Summer session runs July through August. Children begin the service in worship and are dismissed to their classrooms following the children's moment. Click here for the Sunday School registration form.
Sunday, Aug 30, 2015
Sunday, Aug 23, 2015
* * * * *
Sunday, Aug 16, 2015
The Opening Worship Service at GNJAC 2015 - a powerful sermon starts at minute 38:00 - Jesus is telling us to fish for disciples on the other side of the boat.
The Chancel Choir rehearsals are held Wednesdays, September-June, 7:00 pm to 8:30pm in the church.
The Sacred Messengers Choir rehearses the same Wednesdays, but at 8:45pm in the church.
New members are welcome and encouraged to join! Prior musical experience is helpful, but not necessary.
All voice types are needed - but most especially, we need more male voices (tenor & bass) to help balance out the ensemble.
To learn more, speak with Ray Frasche, Tammy Conti, Mike Lavitol or any choir member.
Learn more about Music Theory: Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
The Chancel Choir will resume practice in September 5th.
Advancing God's Kingdom
Outreach & Mission are the things we do that help other people. We don't do them to help our church, or to help ourselves. We seek to build the kingdom of God by restoring the lives of broken people.
- The Helping Hand Food Pantry which offers food to over 400 families and individuals in the Pascack Valley every month. Call 201-664-0600 if you, or someone you know, need food assistance,
- CUMAC/ECHO serves Paterson NJ with a pantry, thrift store, soup kitchens, tutoring, literacy programs, and more.
- Family Promise offers food and shelter to the homeless or those with transitional housing needs.
- Public Theology Advocates is a new ministry in our church, working for social justice in the Pascack Valley and beyond.
- UMC Special Sundays are special collection offerings dedicated to global UMC missions and ministries, supporting disaster relief around the world, students who need money for school, and peace and justice ministries in the USA.
- Once a year in May, we do a "Change the World" event where a variety of small projects add up to something extraordinary.
Advancing God's Kingdom by Helping the Church
We help others with our time, our talent, and our tithe. Consider devoting some of yours to one of our ministries in the church.
- Worship services are supported by Ushers, "First Friends", Greeters, the Worship Planning Team, Sunday School teachers, the Music Ministry and the Connections Ministry.
- Administrative committees include the Church Council, Staff/Parish Relations, Finance, Trustees, and Nominations.
- Other ministries include: the Family Ministry creating events for all ages; Vacation Bible School; Bible Studies; Men's and Women's groups; Prayer Shawl; the Caring Ministry which visits our home-bound; our Mixed Bowling League, and more.
- Click here to visit Our Ministries page. To learn more about any of our ministries, contact the ministry leads or the church office.
Do God's Will
Doing God's will is about developing yourself for whatever you may encounter in life. We believe this happens best through sustained relationships between people who take time to encourage one another and build each other up.
Opportunities to Connect with Others and with God
- Short term studies are a great place to start. Try the Making Sense of the Bible class in the fall or Kickstart in the spring.
- Learn more with topical studies after church or a weekend at Emmaus.
- Experience discipleship through a group that points you to Christ. Join a UMW circle, Disciple Bible Study or be a part of the pastor’s spiritual development group.
- Click here to visit Our Ministries page. To learn more about any of our ministries, contact the ministry leads or the church office.
Kickstart Your Faith: We are serious about making disciples and want to help all experience a kickstart to their faith. We will be holding a 6-week course starting in just a few weeks combining food, fellowship and short videos by Rob Bell. This year's group is for those who may be interested in exploring faith basics. Contact the office at 201-664-5231 if you are interested.
Doing God’s Will through Small Group Ministry and Bible Study
In order for people in our church to grow and to continue on the path that God has for us, we need each other to offer encouragement and support. This happens at Hillsdale United Methodist Church through small groups and bible studies.
We offer two short term studies as an introductory class on the Bible (Making Sense and Kickstart). There are a variety of studies offered throughout the year based on sermon series or felt needs of the congregation. Any of these would make for a great place to meet people who will help you grow in your faith. The best way to grow, though, is through a covenant group, which is any group that meets on an ongoing basis for discipleship and spiritual encouragement. Call the church office to find your place that helps you do God’s will.
What exactly is discipleship? People will explain it in different ways, but here at Hillsdale United Methodist Church we think of discipleship as growing more in love with God. This is our goal for everyone that enters the doors of our church; we want you to know and love God better every day! So how do we do that? Love can't be forced on someone, so how can those in our church grow to love God more? We think everyone is different and that means there is no formula for discipleship, but there are plenty of ways we can help you on your journey. It takes a challenge to grow, so below are a variety of ways in which you can experience God and even help others to do the same.
There are many ways this can happen, but we are aiming to create groups in our church where people covenant with one another to care for each other. This means meeting on a regular basis and asking the historic Wesleyan question “How is it with your soul?” John Wesley, who founded Methodism, gathered people in small groups specifically so they could grow in spiritual maturity. Covenant groups are designed to help people live out their faith so that people are permanently changed as they do God’s will. What group are you in that helps you grow?
Inspiring and Nurturing Our Future
We are always learning with our youth, and in the process, we are lifting up our future as God's Children together! Click each heading to learn more about individual groups.
Sunday School (3-yr-olds to 8th grade): This Sunday morning program ministers to our littlest Methodists. Teachers lead the children in crafts, lessons, and more. Each Sunday they are dismissed to class from worship in the sanctuary. Click here to download a registration form.
Vacation Bible School: For one week each summer, our church is devoted to an epic adventure for all children ages 4-11, with one goal - That the children of our neighborhood experience the love of God and the nurturing support of our church.
Confirmation Class (usually 7th-8th grade): Confirmation class meets on a monthly basis to build community among our young people and to help them understand what it means to be a member of the church. After this two year process confirmands are welcomed into the church as full members and can serve on any ministry or committee.
Youth Group (9th-12th grade): Youth meet monthly for fun, events, and trips around the area.
Hillsdale United Nursery School (2 1/2-4): Hillsdale United Nursery School is a full-licensed, nonsectarian, and non-profit preschool. We are committed to providing a safe, nurturing, and stimulating environment for your children. We provide enriching opportunities every day so students reach their full potential socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively within their learning environment.
Family Ministry (all ages): This group creates fun events for all families. Movie nights, bingo, and dinner are just a few of the special events they put together.