- Know - Worship Services, Sunday School, and Music Ministries
- Advance - Outreach opportunities and United Methodist Women (UMW)
- Do - Small Groups, Bible Studies, and Our Ministries
- To schedule an event in our Buildings
- Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals
- Link to Hillsdale United Nursery School (201-664-4565)
- Link to Helping Hand Food Pantry (201-664-0600)
- Link to Pastor's Blog
- Come browse in our Stempel Memorial Library in Fellowship Hall during coffee hour.
Stempel Memorial Library: Several new titles have been added to the Library. Come browse after services!
The Stempel Memorial Library is looking for volunteers to work in the library after services on Sundays checking books in and out. No experience necessary! We will train you. If you're interested, stop by the library after church.
Are you interested in becoming a member? Hillsdale United Methodist Church typically holds a two class session in September for new members, meant to help get you oriented to our church. The process is the same for transfer of membership. If you are a young person under 16, confirmation class is the path to membership, running from September to May. Confirmands participate in a two year cycle before they are confirmed as members of the church in May. Call the church office for more information or to join.
Reflection Group: Interested in connecting more deeply with other Christians? Do you want to grow in your faith? The pastor holds a reflection group meeting twice a month on Sunday evenings to do exactly that. We'll look at scripture and consider what it means for our lives. Contact the pastor to join.
Knowing God through Worship Experiences
Our worship service is the primary way for us to experience God first hand. We gather together to sing, pray, and hear God's word. We experience God's grace in the sacraments of baptism & communion, learn about God's love and will for us and explore the scriptures to better understand who God is.
Sunday Worship at 10 am
Sunday worship is traditional with contemporary elements. Check our youtube videos for a better sense of what our worship looks like. The worship service is followed by a coffee hour in our fellowship hall. Visitors are encouraged to stay and chat with the pastor over coffee or tea!
Sunday Worship Child Care at 9:40 am
The nursery is available starting at 9:40 am. child care is provided in the nursery in the education building on the 2nd floor. Please see an usher in the sanctuary if you have any questions on Sunday morning.
Sunday School 10 am
Sunday School is available for children ages 3 years old through high school. Regular sessions run from September through June in the education building and a one-room summer session runs July-August. Children begin the service in worship and are dismissed to their classrooms following the children's moment.
Sunday School is a great way for kids to develop a foundation in understanding who God is and what Jesus has to do with our day-to-day lives.
Saturday Evening Worship at 5:00 pm
Hillsdale United Methodist Church has an evening worship service! If you can't make it Sunday, how about Saturday? A small group gathers every Saturday evening at 5:00 pm for a different kind of worship.
We sing a few songs together, pray, watch a video and hear a message, but then talk together about how God is speaking to us and in our lives. The focus is not on someone telling you what to believe, but rather on listening together how God is at work in the world. Join us for this exciting, new service!
If you would like to donate time, talent or resources to help this service grow, please call the church office.
Choir rehearsals are held Wednesdays, September-June, 7:00 pm to 8:00pm in the church.
The Music Ministry would love to have you, your child, or even a friend/relative share their musical talents with us! We are always looking for singers, but also need instrumentalists.
All voice types are needed - but most especially, we need more male voices (tenor & bass) to help balance out the ensemble.
To learn more, please speak with Eunjoo Lee-Huls, Mike Lavitol or any other choir member. Our Music Director, Eunjoo, can be reached directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advancing God's Kingdom
Outreach & Mission are the things we do that help other people. We don't do them to help our church, or to help ourselves. We seek to build the kingdom of God by restoring the lives of broken people.
- The Helping Hand Food Pantry which offers food to over 400 families and individuals in the Pascack Valley every month. Call 201-664-0600 if you, or someone you know, need food assistance,
- CUMAC/ECHO serves Paterson NJ with a pantry, thrift store, soup kitchens, tutoring, literacy programs, and more.
- Family Promise offers food and shelter to the homeless or those with transitional housing needs.
- UMC Special Sundays are special collection offerings dedicated to global UMC missions and ministries, supporting disaster relief around the world, students who need money for school, and peace and justice ministries in the USA.
- Once a year in May, we do a "Change the World" event where a variety of small projects add up to something extraordinary.
Advancing God's Kingdom by Helping the Church
We help others with our time, our talent, and our tithe. Consider devoting some of yours to one of our ministries in the church.
- Worship services are supported by Ushers, "First Friends", Greeters, the Worship Planning Team, Sunday School teachers, the Music Ministry and the Connections Ministry.
- Administrative committees include the Church Council, Staff/Parish Relations, Finance, Trustees, and Nominations.
- Other ministries include: the Family Ministry creating events for all ages; Vacation Bible School; Bible Studies; Men's and Women's groups; Prayer Shawl; the Caring Ministry which visits our home-bound; our Mixed Bowling League, and more.
- Click here to visit the Get Involved page. To learn more about any of our ministries, contact the ministry leads or the church office.
Do God's Will
Doing God's will is about developing yourself for whatever you may encounter in life. We believe this happens best through sustained relationships between people who take time to encourage one another and build each other up.
Opportunities to Connect with Others and with God
- Short term studies are a great place to start. Try the Making Sense of the Bible class in the fall or Kickstart in the spring.
- Learn more with topical studies after church or a weekend at Emmaus.
- Experience discipleship through a group that points you to Christ. Join a UMW circle, Disciple Bible Study or be a part of the pastor’s spiritual development group.
- Click here to go to the Get Involved page. To learn more about any of our ministries, contact the ministry leads or the church office.
Kickstart Your Faith: We are serious about making disciples and want to help all experience a kickstart to their faith. We will be holding a 6-week course starting in just a few weeks combining food, fellowship and short videos by Rob Bell. This year's group is for those who may be interested in exploring faith basics. Contact the office at 201-664-5231 if you are interested.
Doing God’s Will through Small Group Ministry and Bible Study
In order for people in our church to grow and to continue on the path that God has for us, we need each other to offer encouragement and support. This happens at Hillsdale United Methodist Church through small groups and bible studies.
We offer two short term studies as an introductory class on the Bible (Making Sense and Kickstart). There are a variety of studies offered throughout the year based on sermon series or felt needs of the congregation. Any of these would make for a great place to meet people who will help you grow in your faith. The best way to grow, though, is through a covenant group, which is any group that meets on an ongoing basis for discipleship and spiritual encouragement. Call the church office to find your place that helps you do God’s will.
What exactly is discipleship? People will explain it in different ways, but here at Hillsdale United Methodist Church we think of discipleship as growing more in love with God. This is our goal for everyone that enters the doors of our church; we want you to know and love God better every day! So how do we do that? Love can't be forced on someone, so how can those in our church grow to love God more? We think everyone is different and that means there is no formula for discipleship, but there are plenty of ways we can help you on your journey. It takes a challenge to grow, so below are a variety of ways in which you can experience God and even help others to do the same.
There are many ways this can happen, but we are aiming to create groups in our church where people covenant with one another to care for each other. This means meeting on a regular basis and asking the historic Wesleyan question “How is it with your soul?” John Wesley, who founded Methodism, gathered people in small groups specifically so they could grow in spiritual maturity. Covenant groups are designed to help people live out their faith so that people are permanently changed as they do God’s will. What group are you in that helps you grow?
Inspiring and Nurturing Future Generations
We are always learning with our youth, and in the process, we are lifting up our future as God's Children together! Click each heading to learn more about individual groups.
Sunday School (3-yr-olds to 8th grade): This Sunday morning program ministers to our littlest Methodists. Teachers lead the children in crafts, lessons, and more. Each Sunday they are dismissed to class from worship in the sanctuary. Click here to download a registration form.
Vacation Bible School: For one week each summer, our church is devoted to an epic adventure for all children ages 4-11, with one goal - That the children of our neighborhood experience the love of God and the nurturing support of our church.
Confirmation Class (usually 7th-8th grade): Confirmation class meets on a monthly basis to build community among our young people and to help them understand what it means to be a member of the church. After this two year process confirmands are welcomed into the church as full members and can serve on any ministry or committee.
Youth Group (9th-12th grade): Youth meet monthly for fun, events, and trips around the area. For more information, contact our Youth Minister, Kristine Melius, HillsdaleNJYouth@gmail.com, 201-664-5231
Hillsdale United Nursery School (2 1/2-4): Hillsdale United Nursery School is a full-licensed, nonsectarian, and non-profit preschool. We are committed to providing a safe, nurturing, and stimulating environment for your children. We provide enriching opportunities every day so students reach their full potential socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively within their learning environment.
Family Ministry (all ages): This group creates fun events for all families. Movie nights, bingo, and dinner are just a few of the special events they put together.